Today while flipping through an old diary, I saw this quote and it made me smile. Do you remember when it finally dawned on you? You are really a grown up. Not just aging, but you have truly matured. You are not that girl/guy you were a while ago. Did it just creep up on you? Did you take off running? May be you were the kind that embraced it with gusto and excitement. You longed for it. Me – not so much! I’m somewhere in the middle lane. It has been a journey. However, there are somethings about maturing that I truly appreciate.
Here’s my list:
- Delivered from the need to please everyone.
- Comfortable with my limitations and don’t feel the need to apologize for them.
- Normalized saying ‘I don’t know ‘ when I don’t know.
- Understood that not everything needs to be said. Because I think it, does not mean I have to say it.
- Realized that some questions are better left not asked.
- Found out that not everything or everyone that leaves is a loss.
- Learned that divine delays are good for the soul.
- I’d rather have peace than to be always right.
- Finding the freedom in laughing at myself.
- Yes! I’ve learned how to turn the volume down on the voices that cripples my spirit.
So when did you realize you were grown? I pray you are enjoying the seasons that come with this journey called life. Don’t just go through ‘stuff’ – grow through them. Stagnancy doesn’t look good on us. Push through and never be afraid of the times of ‘discomfort’. There are always lessons to be learned in those uneasy places. Let’s keep growing!
Philippians 1:6 reminds us, “Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” God’s not finished with you yet!